Tuesday 18 March 2014


Pythagoras theorem

 Ah yes, it has been mentioned – the Pythagoras theorem.  I had planned to introduce this to my class after we had carefully covered exponents, squares, area and basic geometry.  But it arrived yesterday with a bang!  Here is a transcript that followed a brief discussion regarding the words ‘perimeter’, ‘circumference’ and ‘diameter’.

Damon: Any other weird words that have been popping up?
Joe:  Pythagosi.
Damon: Oh yeah, Pythagoras.
Joe: I hate that bastard.

Hmmm, a bit of bad blood toward old Pythagoras in the room.  We did an impromptu lesson on the concept and now I’m putting something together for tomorrow. I've searched the Learning Progressions material – not too helpful so far (but very good for measurement).  Now moving to NZMATHS which has some great ideas and resources.

It’ll be interesting to see how the diagrams work tomorrow.  See if we can’t make Joe love the bastard!  


No comments:

Post a Comment